About MailRadar

As a Linux oriented community for sysadmins, MailRadar.com aims to provide unique information and surveys about email messaging and email servers, as well as a range of free tools to help you determine the status of an IP or domain, or the security level of your mail server.
Mail servers facts & figures

Open source vs. commercial mail servers - global distribution

Out of the total number of email servers identified, 71.06% were found to be open source, while the rest of 28.94% are commercial servers. Open source vs. commercial mail servers
Open source mail servers
Commercial mail servers

Open relay vs. secured mail servers - global distribution

Open relay vs. secured mail servers The open relay percentage is 6.65%. A high number of open relays would increase the overall amount of spam received world-wide. 93.35% of the inspected servers are safe from spammer exploitation.
Closed relay mail servers
Open relay mail servers

Blacklisted vs. reliable mail servers - global distribution

The servers are listed in at least one blacklist database have a 49.27% percentage out of the total number of servers scanned. These servers are banned and cannot transmit emails to other servers that rely on blacklists to block spammers. The number of servers not included in any of the blacklist databases is 50.73%. Blacklisted vs. reliable mail servers
Reliable mail servers
Blacklisted mail servers
Latest email related articles

10 things to keep in mind when purchasing a new server

(Brien Posey, TechRepublic) If you’re in the market for a new server, you need to evaluate your choices carefully to make sure the one you buy will meet your needs.

A network server is a big investment and usually represents a long-term commitment, so it’s critically important to select one that will meet all your needs. Here are some things you should consider when you go shopping for a new server:
1. Drivers
2. Redundancy
3. Hot-swappable components
4. Form factor
5. Fault tolerant memory
6. Storage
7. CPU support
8. Connectivity
9. Memory capacity
10. Manageability
|
|
Rating: 12345

10 challenges facing IT

(Alan Norton, TechRepublic) IT is always facing challenges. Some of these challenges have slowly changed over time, but many of them are perennial offenders. How will IT meet these challenges today and in the near future? Where do they rank in order of importance at the company where you work?

1. Customer service
Improve customer service by listening to and meeting the client’s needs. Make customer service job number one.
2. Human resources
Develop creative ways to minimize stress, satisfy employee needs, and match corporate needs to employee goals.
3. Productivity
Make the best use of new technologies like cloud and mobile computing but search out additional ways to increase productivity.
[...]
Read more by following the "full article" link.
|
|
Rating: 12345

How to Reduce Malware-Induced Security Breaches

(Steve Dispensa, eWeek) Malware has caused the industry to rethink its security best practices, introducing tools such as transaction verification to guard against real-time, man-in-the-middle attacks. Out-of-band authentication mechanisms are growing rapidly in popularity. While it is certain that malware will continue to evolve, Knowledge Center contributor Steve Dispensa offers four simple steps you can take to significantly reduce your malware-induced security breach exposure.

In a recent survey of IT professionals, over 32 percent felt that malware installed on PCs will pose the greatest external threat to IT security over the next 12 months. Over 16 percent indicated that malware on mobile devices presented the greatest threat. In total, malware running on PCs and mobile devices was ranked the top threat for 2010 by nearly 50 percent of respondents.

Fortunately, there are four concrete steps you can take to prevent malware threats in your organization:
  1. Step No. 1: Have a corporate anti-malware solution
  2. Step No. 2: Patch!
  3. Step No. 3: Deploy strong authentication
  4. Step No. 4: Use transaction verification
|
|
Rating: 12345
Close send to email window
 



Verification code

Already a member?
Blacklist monitoring alerts
sign up Signup for our real-time monitoring service and receive email notifications each time one of your IPs gets blacklisted.
Free Signup
Mail Server Operating System Poll
.01

What OS do you use for your email server?
Linux
Windows
Other
disabled next
.02

How many mailboxes do you currently manage?
1-50
51-300
300+
previous next
.03

Would you like to comment upon the choosing of this particular OS?

previous
 
DNS Tools
Get IP status, owner and location, obtain its corresponding hostname or check specific ports.
Ping Statistics
Reverse DNS Lookup
Whois Info (IP owner)
GeoIP Information
Check Port
Open Relay Test
Test if your mail server is an open relay for spammers.
Blacklist Checker
Check if your IP is listed in DNS based email blacklists (DNSBL)